Re: Should PostgreSQL Europe organisation settle down in France ?

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
Cc: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, damien(at)dalibo(dot)info, pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Should PostgreSQL Europe organisation settle down in France ?
Date: 2007-09-15 15:41:05
Lists: pgeu-general

Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> Hey Oleg,
>
> Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>> I'm for upgrading PostgreSQL-FR to PostgreSQL-EU, since this is
>> a real european organization. I know Jean-Paul well and trust him.
>
> As I've understood, they don't want to give up their organization for
> French speaking Postgres users, which is understandable. So that's
> probably not an option.
>
> But learning from their experience is. And probably Postgres-EU (uh..
> sorry for playing the name game) can be another organization, based in
> France as well, but with a different goal.

Perhaps the way to do it would be to have:

PostgreSQL-EU
->PostgreSQL-FR
->PostgreSQL-IT
->PostgreSQL-DE

In this way, there is a central PostgreSQL-EU presence that has
affiliated but autonomous presences within each of the respective
communities.

This is similar to how SPI works, which is what PostgreSQL in the US is
affiliated with. SPI is more general, having not only PostgreSQL but
also Debian, FreeDesktop, Drupal etc... but the same idea applies.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Regards
>
> Markus

- --

Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
PostgreSQL solutions since 1997 http://www.commandprompt.com/
UNIQUE NOT NULL