Re: pgadmin 8.3 beta 5: ERROR: permission denied for tablespace pg_default

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Harald Armin Massa <haraldarminmassa(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgAdmin Support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgadmin 8.3 beta 5: ERROR: permission denied for tablespace pg_default
Date: 2007-09-15 08:43:01
Lists: pgadmin-support

Harald Armin Massa wrote:
> Hello,
>
> it may or may not be considered as a pgadmin error:
>
> I try to create an index on a column of a table. Using the
> pgadmin-wizard, that results in:
>
> CREATE INDEX otformularkopf_test
> ON otformularkopf (id_pkfk)
> TABLESPACE pg_default;
>
> with NO chance to get rid of the " TABLESPACE pg_default" clause;
> so I am stuck with "ERROR: permission denied for tablespace pg_default"
>
> According to the words of Master Tom in
> http://svr5.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-06/msg00947.php,
> " Joe User probably shouldn't be fooling with tablespaces at all."

Gah - so you can use it despite having no permissions on it if you don't
specify it? On what planet does that seem sane?

> and allow Postgres to decide in which tablespace to put that index. But
> the "tablespace" dropdown is not blankable.

No, and that was intentional to remove some ambiguity and subsequent
nasty surprises that we found could crop up as a result.

> So my suggestion: make tablespace default blank in the wizards.

I guess I'll have to on the CREATE version of the dialogs. Thankfully,
it shouldn't matter for the ALTER versions as they only script the
tabespace if you try to change it.

/D