Re: Should PostgreSQL Europe organisation settle down in France ?

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: damien(at)dalibo(dot)info
Cc: pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Should PostgreSQL Europe organisation settle down in France ?
Date: 2007-09-15 08:05:16
Lists: pgeu-general

damien clochard a écrit :
> Over the last few days, I've met almost every "key members" of the
> PostgreSQLFr association and asked if they would be OK to transform the
> association into an European purpose one.
>
> The response is unanimous : they are not comfortable with the idea that the
> french association would "disappear". It represents for them 3 years of
> work : Lots of time and energy to build this user group from scratch.
> Changing the name and goal of the association would somewhat mess things up.
> Besides the association aims to provides help to **french speaking** users,
> which includes Canada, West Africa, etc. etc.

I've just looked at Google Analytics for http://docs.postgresqlfr.org
(website giving access to PostgreSQL manuals, 7.4 to 8.2, in french).
Here are the top ten countries visiting this website (with the number of
visitors) for last month :

1. France
15 070
2. Belgium
707
3. Canada
665
4. Switzerland
516
5. Morocco
379
6. Germany
220
7. Tunisia
177
8. Algeria
135
9. United Kingdom
119
10. United States
117

Even if french visitors are really far ahead from the belgium's ones
(who are second in the top list), it also means that 20% of our visitors
are not french.

On a one year timeframe, you get pretty much the same list.

> [...]

Regards.

--
Guillaume.