Re: Caching driver on pgFoundry?

From: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Dave Cramer" <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
Cc: "Oliver Jowett" <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>, "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Kris Jurka" <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Caching driver on pgFoundry?
Date: 2007-09-09 08:59:53
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Dave Cramer wrote:
> It's simpler, there's about half a dozen classes and one if statement as
> opposed to implementing the Connection and Statement interfaces for 3
> versions of jdbc and yet another build system that does the same.

I think it's reasonable to assume that the cache will only be used in
new applications, so you don't need to support as many JDBC versions as
the driver itself.

Actually, do you really need to have a separate version for each JDBC
version? Wouldn't a wrapper written and compiled with JDBC4 work with
older JDKs as well, as long as the application doesn't use the JDBC4
features? I might be missing something, I don't fully understand how it
works in the core driver either.

Have you considered using java.lang.reflect.Proxy? It has some overhead,
but is it significant in modern JVMs?

--
Heikki Linnakangas