Re: Caching driver on pgFoundry?

From: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Paul van den Bogaard" <Paul(dot)Vandenbogaard(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: "Peter Kovacs" <peter(dot)kovacs(dot)1(dot)0rc(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Kris Jurka" <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, "Dave Cramer" <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Caching driver on pgFoundry?
Date: 2007-09-06 09:26:25
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Paul van den Bogaard wrote:
> if the caching & pooling stuff is in the same jar file as the rest of
> the JDBC driver than my point is empty. If it is (can be seen as) an
> extra element that it is very likely it will mean extra work for the Q&A
> department of the ISV.
> Test suite is likely to become
>
> on platform A, test with and test without
> on platform B, test with and test without
>
> continues till all platforms are covered.
>
> In general one more element translates in more permutations.

I don't get that. If you need the caching, you're going distribute the
caching component with your software, and you're going to test it *with*
the caching. Why would you test it without it?

On the other hand, if you want to support your software with and without
the caching, you should test it in both modes, regardless of the packaging.

--
Heikki Linnakangas