Re: Caching driver on pgFoundry?

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Paul van den Bogaard <Paul(dot)Vandenbogaard(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Caching driver on pgFoundry?
Date: 2007-09-06 09:14:21
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
Paul van den Bogaard wrote:

> Finally it is not just appsservers out there. Lots if J2SE application
> exist in at least the Telco segment. Would love to see these guys to
> adopt a free database instead of Oracle that is all over that place.

Going off at a bit of a tangent here.. OpenCloud does telco
infrastructure software and we package postgresql with our product to do
persistence of long-lived state (deployed services, cluster
configuration, customer provisioning data etc). The statement caching
stuff is not really an issue either way for what we do, since we already
intelligently reuse statements in our persistance layer.

One thing we've found is that our customers don't really care about
database setup for this sort of use, they want it to "just work". In
fact we package Derby instead of PostgreSQL with our development
versions just so there's one less thing for the developer to set up. So
even if we cared about statement caching it wouldn't really matter if it
was together with the driver or a separate package as we'd still end up
doing all the packaging together with the application and testing of the
combined product.

While what we do is essentially an appserver (JAIN SLEE) I suspect the
same applies to standalone java telco apps, you're going to be doing DB
integration as part of your app not as something that gets plugged in
afterwards, so I'm not sure how relevant having it in the standard
driver is.

-O