More refresh issues

From: Erwin Brandstetter <brandstetter(at)falter(dot)at>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: More refresh issues
Date: 2007-09-05 14:51:48
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi developers!

Testing the pgAdmin III 1.8.0 Beta 4 (Sep 4 2007, rev: 6608:6609).
Client Win XP, host: Debian Etch / PG 8.2.4 and Debian Sarge / PG 8.1.8

When making changes via properties dialog, the new policy is to update
_all_ affected places in the object tree. Did I get that right?

There are some more instances, where this is not observed:
- Changing trigger functions in the table subtree does not update the
twin instance of the object in the "Trigger Functions" collection.
- Changing / Dropping UNIQUE constraints does not update the table
node. (This worked in the last beta. Though adding comments works now!)
Could not test this for adding a new UNIQUE constraints due to the
crash I reported earlier.
- Adding / Changing / Dropping rules does not update the table node.

Losing the focus every time a father / grandfather node is updated is a
rather unwelcome side effect (we talked about it). In the case of a
large tree the whole tree is moved up and down and, more often than not,
the focus wanders out of sight. As far as I am concerned, this is way
more annoying than all of the above.

Other quirks:
- When hitting <DEL> on a collection in a table subtree, the focus jumps
back to the table node (although the "drop" icon in the menu bar is
disabled for collections). Looks like it it trying to refresh the table
node. It should do nothing, like it does on collection nodes outside the
table subtree.
- You can also hit <DEL> on the trigger function of a trigger in the
table subtree, which tries to drop it. But this can never succeed, as
there is a depending object per definition (the trigger). We might as
well disable dropping here.

Regards
Erwin