Re: BUG #3595: Segmentation fault with a simple select query

From: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Jukka Holappa" <jukkaho(at)mail(dot)student(dot)oulu(dot)fi>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #3595: Segmentation fault with a simple select query
Date: 2007-09-05 08:32:18
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Jukka Holappa wrote:
> Currently it has some problem with another index for sure as it says:
> 'ERROR: could not find left sibling in "next_indexing_key"' and when
> trying to recreate the url table index that was used in the problematic
> query I reported about, I had some errors like:
>
> NOTICE: ALTER TABLE / ADD UNIQUE will create implicit index
> "unique_urls" for table "urls"
> ERROR: xlog flush request 3F/1868BB20 is not satisfied --- flushed only
> to 3F/833AF28
> CONTEXT: writing block 4018 of relation 1663/46508/79461

The likely cause for that is that the LSN on a data page is corrupted.
It tried to flush the WAL up to location 3F/1868BB20, but there wasn't
that much WAL generated.

It starts to sound more and more like a hardware problem to me. You
mentioned that you have no other software crashes, but I wonder if
you're running anything else on the server that stresses it in any
significant way. I'd suggest checking/replacing the RAM for starters,
that's the most common component to fail, and would cause random
corruption like that. Or if you have spare hardware, switch to another
server and see if the problem goes reappears.

--
Heikki Linnakangas