Re: BUG #3593: Postgres Installer does not work

From: Chris Travers <chris(at)metatrontech(dot)com>
To: Omkar Patkar <patkaromkar(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3593: Postgres Installer does not work
Date: 2007-09-02 21:52:24
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Omkar Patkar wrote:

> Bug reference:      3593
> Logged by:          Omkar Patkar
> Email address:      patkaromkar(at)gmail(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 8.2.4.1
> Operating system:   Windows Vista Home Basic Edition
> Details:
>
> I tried to install postgres on Windows Vista Home Basic. It gave me two
> problems :-
>
> 1) The UAC (User Access Control) of Windows Vista was blocking the installer
> from creating a user account by the name "postgres"

Hmmm.... Last time I tried (8.2.4) I had no problems installing on Vista
Basic once I disabled UAC.

See if the following whitepaper helps:

http://port25.technet.com/archive/2007/02/22/postgresql-on-windows-a-primer.aspx
> 2) I some how managed to disable the UAC, and was the installer was able to
> create the user account for postgres. But the installer halted at one point
> and the installation could not be proceeded.

Try:
1)  Disabling UAC
2)  Rebooting
3)  If it says it is installed, remove it through the controll panel
4)  Remove the C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.2 directory
5)  Try again.

Note that win32 and general are probably better lists for this sort of
issue to start on.

Best WIshes,
Chris Travers