Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: "Decibel!" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)
Date: 2007-08-31 22:21:29
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Jan Wieck wrote:
> On 8/31/2007 4:53 AM, Decibel! wrote:
>> Yes, there's printed material that will have to be re-done. Big
>> whoop. If SPI and the corporate entities don't want to handle that
>> cost, I'll put up $500 of my own. If names didn't get changed because
>> of marketing material, we'd still be calling microwave ovens "radar
>> range"s.
>
> Nobody has to "redo" anything at all if they don't want to. Printed
> material in the software industry tends to age and become shelfware
> nobody is ever looking at again. As long as all future material is using
> Postgres alone, the change will go along just fine.

Ignoring the requirements of the communities in charge of the majority
of advocacy of the larger whole is bad idea.

When we have our *largest* community asking us not to do this, we need
to listen to that community.

Further as the person that actually approves many of the community
expenditures I can tell you that I am not at all pleased about the idea
that we are going to waste money, repaying from much of that printed
material. Not to mention time and energy wasted redoing our live cd, our
shirt designs, our sign designs etc...

I still have yet to hear a real argument against PostgreSQL except that
it is easier to say, which imo is a pretty bogus argument considering
the Japanese and European communities are telling us it isn't a big deal.

PostgreSQL has impact
Postgres is a weak stream when you hit 50.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Granted, the time was much shorter, but where do you find any references
> to Postgres95 these days?
>

> Jan

- --

Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
PostgreSQL solutions since 1997 http://www.commandprompt.com/
UNIQUE NOT NULL