8.2 Autovacuum BUG ?

From: Pallav Kalva <pkalva(at)livedatagroup(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: 8.2 Autovacuum BUG ?
Date: 2007-08-31 15:30:47
Lists: pgsql-performance
Hi,

    We turned on autovacuums on 8.2 and we have a database which is read
only , it is basically a USPS database used only for address lookups
(only SELECTS, no updates/deletes/inserts).

    This database has about 10gig data and yesterday autovacuum started
on this database and all of a sudden I see lot of archive logs generated
during this time, I guess it might have generated close to 3-4gig data
during this period.

    It was doing only vacuum not vacuum analyze.

    My question is why does it have to generate so many archive logs on
static tables ?

   I am thinking these archive logs are mostly empty , the reason I am
saying that because I noticed that when I restore the db using PITR
backups for my reporting db these same logs are recovered in seconds
compared to the logs generated while vacuums are not running.

   Is this a BUG ? or am I missing something here ?

Vacuum Settings
---------------------
vacuum_cost_delay = 30
vacuum_cost_limit = 150