Re: [HACKERS] Contrib modules documentation online

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Albert Cervera i Areny <albert(at)nan-tic(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Contrib modules documentation online
Date: 2007-08-30 14:06:07
Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 30. August 2007 15:26 schrieb Tom Lane:
>
>> I thought a large part of the desire was to improve the visibility of
>> the contrib docs, ie, put the docs under the noses of people who have
>> *not* installed or even heard of the modules.  So "it's not in the docs
>> unless you installed it" seems counter to the point.
>>

> I thought the point was to make the extensibility features of PostgreSQL more
> usable so people would be more inclined to use them.  The assumption being
> that the problem is not finding things but the hesitation against
> using "unofficial" things.  Moving everything to the main blob of things
> seems to go against that idea.
>
> So perhaps some market research is required to clarify the actual requirements
> and goals.

The idea that seemed to gain traction last time this was discussed was
to treat the contrib modules as standard, included in the core
distribution as examples of how modules work, and as modules that have
moderately wide use (not sure how true that is of all of them, but I
don't see any great point in pushing them out.) Quite apart from
anything else, keeping them part of the main distribution helps us to
validate the module process via buildfarm etc.

So this isn't just "moving everything to the main blob of things".

If you want to pay for market research then feel free ;-)

cheers

andrew