msvc++ build of 8.2.4 and encodings

From: Charlie Savage <cfis(at)savagexi(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: msvc++ build of 8.2.4 and encodings
Date: 2007-08-30 02:43:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hope this is the right place for this post...

I'm been trying out the msvc++ build scripts for postgresql 8.2.4 on my
development laptop (using window xp pro).

I noticed the sort orders of queries changed. Investigating more,
encodings don't seem to be working as expected.

Using a MSVC++ build:

> CREATE DATABASE test1 WITH ENCODING = 'utf8';

> show all

"lc_collate";"English_United States.1252"
"lc_ctype";"English_United States.1252"
"lc_messages";"C"
"lc_monetary";"C"
"lc_numeric";"C"
"lc_time";"C"

Using a MSYS build:

> CREATE DATABASE test1 WITH ENCODING = 'utf8';

> show all

"lc_collate";"en_US.UTF-8"
"lc_ctype";"en_US.UTF-8"
"lc_messages";"C"
"lc_monetary";"C"
"lc_numeric";"C"
"lc_time";"C"

In both cases, the database clusters were created like this:

initdb ---locale=c --encoding=utf8;

Note that I successfully built all the various encoding projects for the
MSVC++ build and have installed them.

I'd be happy to debug this a bit more if would be helpful.

Thanks,

Charlie