Re: How to monitor resources on Linux.

From: John R Allgood <jallgood(at)the-allgoods(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to monitor resources on Linux.
Date: 2007-08-28 19:00:40
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hey Tom

    Thanks for responding. This issue came around because of a situation
yesterday with processes being killed off by the kernel.  I believe my
co worker Geof Myers sent a post yesterday and the response was to
adjust the vm.commit_memory=2. Several time throughout the day we see
memory usage peak and then it will go down. We have multiple postmasters
running for each of our division so that I we have a problem with a
database it only affects that one. It make it diffucult to tune a system
with this many postmasters running. Each database is tuned according to
need. We allow anywhere between 5-50 max connections. So what I am
looking for is?  Exactly what am I looking at with ipcs -m, free, and top.

Thanks