Re: pgadmin 1.8.0 beta3 bug

From: Erwin Brandstetter <brandstetter(at)falter(dot)at>
To: dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgadmin 1.8.0 beta3 bug
Date: 2007-08-28 14:25:16
Lists: pgadmin-support

dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org wrote:
> Erwin Brandstetter wrote:
>
>> (...)
>> Concerning the issue at hand I am unsure what to look for. What Martin
>> addressed in his initial posting seems fixed in any case. Other things
>> might remain to be addressed.
>> For instance: add a new field per dialog.
>> -> field shows up in "Columns" tree and also in "New Object .." dialogs
>> -> SQL pane for table still displays obsolete SQL, however
>>

> OK, I've applied a fix for that.
>

>> To test whether it works, we need to be clear about how exactly it
>> should work. Would be talking on IRC be helpful?
>>

> I try to avoid IRC generally as it's too distracting for little gain.
> I'm usually on MS Messenger as dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org though, or (slightly
> less often) on Yahoo as pgSnake.
>
> I think in this case though we should generally get a refresh whenever
> anything in a sub node changes anything in a parent or grandparent node.

... AND we officially know it. You cannot catch the changes applied via
SQL. Also, there is always the possibility that someone else has made
changes in the background.
So, to be reasonably sure to be up to date, you would still have to
refresh manually.

> I think I've largely nailed this for tables now (which is pretty much
> the only place it happens that I can think of),

Also applies to views. (column defaults ...)

> the only downside being
> that it causes the child collection nodes to get recreated which causes
> them to become collapsed. Not sure how to fix that without a fairly
> large rewrite.

If any change via properties dialog would collapse the whole table
subtree that would be a change for the worse IMO. Then I'd rather have
the status quo ante.
Is there no way to just refresh the SQL pane?

Regards
Erwin