Re: [GENERAL] One database vs. hundreds?

From: btober(at)ct(dot)metrocast(dot)net
To: Kamil Srot <kamil(dot)srot(at)nlogy(dot)com>
Cc: Kynn Jones <kynnjo(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] One database vs. hundreds?
Date: 2007-08-28 12:57:11
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

(On the GENERAL list) Kamil Srot wrote:

> Kynn Jones wrote:
>> I'm hoping to get some advice on a design question ...
>

> ...we use pgsql partitioning for other reasons
> and it has some of the features you want (data separation, query
> performance, ...).
> It can be worth reading:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/ddl-partitioning.html

I'm not sure the tip is really what the OP is going to need -- I think
he has a different problem in mind than that addresses -- but after a
quick R of TFM, all I can say is HOLY CR** THAT IS COOL! Postrgresql was
amazing when I first started using it at 7.2, and I'm continually
astounded by learning new features and techniques made available by the
continuing work of the development team.