Re: Testing the other tsearch dictionaries

From: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Oleg Bartunov" <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, "Teodor Sigaev" <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Testing the other tsearch dictionaries
Date: 2007-08-28 11:02:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> I was a bit unhappy to realize just now that the patch Heikki sent in,
> and I reviewed and applied, actually broke dict_synonym. (Modifying a
> string tends to modify the result of strlen() ...) While we can't
> cover *everything* in the regression tests, it now seems like a bad
> idea that the tsearch.sql test has no coverage at all for the ispell,
> synonym, or thesaurus templates.

Agreed, we really need regression tests for this stuff one way or other.
It's a lot of code, not very well tested, and likely to be modified in
the future as well.

> The difficulty in testing these is that they require configuration
> files, which the regression tests really can't install. (If the
> configuration were all inside the database it wouldn't be such a
> problem, but that's a lost cause for 8.3...)

How about putting the sample config files in contrib/tsearch, and
copying them at "make install"? We have the capability to install
contrib modules at the beginning of regression tests, right?

--
Heikki Linnakangas