Re: Theme of this release: Performance?

From: Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Theme of this release: Performance?
Date: 2007-08-23 20:14:34
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Josh Berkus escribió:
>> Josh,
>>
>>> Wasn't Performance the theme of the last release?
>> No, it was "maturity".
>
> 8.1 has
> 	The new release includes performance improvements and advanced SQL
> 	features which will support bigger data warehouses, higher-volume
> 	transaction processing, and more complex distributed enterprise
> 	software.
>
> 8.2 has
> 	This 14th public release adds features, maturity, and performance
> 	requested by business users, delivering manageability comparable to
> 	leading enterprise database systems.
>

> So performance has always been part of the theme.  The question is _what else_
> will be theme this release ...

Well we have XML and TSearch2 as a new functional features.
We have HOT and plan invalidation as a new features for better 24/7
support (aside from performance).

Looking at [1] some of the items are too short and unknown for me to
make sense of what they imply. But so far I would say the postgresql
developers have improved the handling of (structured) clobs as well as
made postgresql more able to run 24/7 operations.

regards,
Lukas

[1] http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/8.3release