Re: Cannot create a type in pg_catalog

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cannot create a type in pg_catalog
Date: 2007-08-23 14:57:43
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tom Lane wrote:
>> Dave Page wrote:
>>> - "are currently disallowed" implies that sometimes it is allowed. How
>>> does one control that, or is it implying something that is not the case,
>>> or only the case in unusual circumstances such as a standalone backend?
>
>> It is allowed in standalone mode AFAIR (maybe when specifying a flag
>> like -P or -O).
>
> Yeah, you need one of those switches, I can never remember which is
> which without looking.
>
> The actual prohibition is on inserting a new pg_class row, which Dave's
> command is trying to do because he's trying to create a composite type.

If thats the case, then there's another inconsistency as I can insert a
pg_class row manually without any problems:

demo=# INSERT INTO pg_class (relname, relnamespace, reltype, relowner,
relam, relfilenode, reltablespace, relpages, reltuples, reltoastrelid,
reltoastidxid, relhasindex, relisshared, relkind, relnatts, relchecks,
reltriggers, relukeys, relfkeys, relrefs, relhasoids, relhaspkey,
relhasrules, relhassubclass, relfrozenxid) VALUES ('x', 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,
0, 0, 0, 0, 0, FALSE, FALSE, 't', 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, FALSE, FALSE, FALSE,
FALSE, '0');
INSERT 17943 1

Regards, Dave