Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add configure option --with-system-tzdata to use operating system

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add configure option --with-system-tzdata to use operating system
Date: 2007-08-23 10:41:50
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> [ catching up on today's email ]

>> Why would --with-zoneinfo want to use a symlink though? Shouldn't it just
>> compile the binary to use the path specified directly?
>
> AFAICS that just moves the problem to a different place, one where an
> admin *can't* fix it without recompiling ...

Is there real reason why admin should do it? Timezone files are stored in
defined location where "all" software expect it. If it is important to change
timezone file location we could add extra command line parameter or GUC
variable, but I don't see any reason for do it configurable on run-time.

Zdenek