Re: about the european pug

From: Robert Gravsjö <roppert(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: about the european pug
Date: 2007-08-22 20:23:34
Lists: pgeu-general
Dawid Kuroczko wrote:
> On 8/22/07, Luca Ferrari <fluca1978(at)infinito(dot)it> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I'd like to know if someone has a plan or any idea about how we should start
>> the work for the e-pug, and if he can share it in the mailing list, so we can
>> discuss about.

I'm currently not involved in PostgreSQL community, but I have been
using it for a long time and would like to become more involved and try
to contribute.
So, for what it's worth, here's some thoughts.

> Or what, as a PUG would we like to do?  Obvious answer is that we should
> promote PostgreSQL and help new users.  And organize events such
> as PgDay.
>
> Question we have to answer, I think, are:
>  - how much 'legal' should we be?  If we should register an organization,
> how to make it Pan-European?  Do we know of any Pan-European organization
> similar in goals to ours?  Pluses are that we could try get funding
> from European
> Union perhaps.  Minus is that we would have to put some legal muscule into it...

Funding is always good. Does anyone have any experience with things like
this. My concern is just how much legal muscle we need to put in.

>  - free for all or a membership fee?

Free is always good. It makes it easier to get folks interested.

>  - national sub-PUGs where applicable?

If there's a strong userbase that might be a good idea, but I would
suggest to wait until the EU PUG is up and running (one way or the other).

Any experience of other PUGs structure/organization? What ways have been
tried and what might be applicable for us in Europe?

My 2 euro,
Robert (aka roppert)