Re: [HACKERS] PAM authentication fails for local UNIX users

From: Dhanaraj M <Dhanaraj(dot)M(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PAM authentication fails for local UNIX users
Date: 2007-08-21 11:33:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Hi all,

This is the continuation to the discussion that we had in the hacker's list.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/auth-methods.html#AUTH-PAM
Here, I like to add some details in 20.2.6. PAM authentication section.

Can someone review and make changes, if required? Thanks.

*** client-auth.sgml.orig Tue Aug 21 16:52:45 2007
--- client-auth.sgml Tue Aug 21 17:02:52 2007
***************
*** 987,992 ****
--- 987,1001 ----
and the <ulink url="http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/pam/">
<systemitem class="osname">Solaris</> PAM Page</ulink>.
</para>
+
+ <note>
+ <para>
+ The local UNIX user authentication is not permitted,
+ because the postgres server is started by a non-root user.
+ In order to enable this functionality, the root user must provide
+ additional permissions to the postgres user (for reading
/etc/shadow file).
+ </para>
+ </note>
</sect2>