Re: rogue process maxing cpu and unresponsive to signals

From: Jon Jensen <jon(at)jenseng(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: rogue process maxing cpu and unresponsive to signals
Date: 2007-08-16 06:23:54
Lists: pgsql-novice

> I think you'll find that "kill -9" doesn't do anything either, and
> the only recourse is a system reboot. What this sounds like to me
> is that the kernel has gotten wedged trying to perform some operation
> or other on behalf of that process. Problems like a stuck disk I/O
> request are often found to result in unkillable, un-attachable processes.
>
> How up-to-date is your kernel? Seen any signs of hardware problems
> lately?
>
> regards, tom lane

The kernel is 2.6.15-1-686-smp, and we haven't seen any other problems
on this machine till now.

I was hoping there was some other solution, but you are probably
right... I'll investigate some more to see if I can find any other
workarounds, but I'll probably just have to bite the bullet here pretty
soon.

Jon