Re: PITR logging control program

From: "Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>
To: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>, "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PITR logging control program
Date: 2004-04-30 10:35:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Basically it is updating the logs as soon as it receives the
> notifications. Writing 16 MB of xlogs could take some time.

In my experience with archiving logs, 16 Mb is on the contrary way too
small for a single log. The overhead of starting e.g. a tape session
is so high that you cannot keep up (a few seconds). Once the tape is
streaming it is usually quite fast. So imho it is not really practical to
have logs so small that they can fill in less that 20 seconds.

Andreas