Re: [pgsql-advocacy] We need an Advocacy wiki

From: Selena Deckelmann <sdeckelmann(at)chrisking(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Advocacy List <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] We need an Advocacy wiki
Date: 2007-08-06 21:56:57
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

On Aug 4, 2007, at 6:43 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Josh, All:
>
>> Open up the wiki to signups with email confirmation. Give half a
>> dozen
>> people we trust access to manage users and rollback content.
>
> Either that or set up a 2nd, permissive, wiki. I don't care, I can
> work it
> either way.

The wiki that I used for OSCON is http://pbwiki.com

The features that made it awesome for "event registration" were:

- Per page passwords (we indicated what the password was in the body
of the page - at this point, bots don't seem to pick that up)
- When modifying a page, users are asked to enter their email address
and whether they want to be notified when the page changes
- Email to page creator/owners when pages are updated includes the
email address of the new users, making it easy to contact people

If the new "advocacy wiki" is in the postgresql.org namespace,
something with those features would most likely prevent the kind of
"porn + postgresql" synergy Greg mentioned earlier today.
Particularly, the per-page passwords seem to prevent spam. (of
course, its probably just a mater of time...)

Not that this will make Dave, Greg et al. feel much better, but I can
help moderate the new wiki-space.

-selena
PDXPUG wrangler