Re: Correction of how to use TimeZone by ControlFile(xlog.c)

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Hiroshi Saito <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Correction of how to use TimeZone by ControlFile(xlog.c)
Date: 2007-08-03 17:00:18
Lists: pgsql-patches

Gregory Stark wrote:
> Well even if we include the time in integer seconds-since-unix-epoch format it
> would be useful for a CSV data format.

That's probably the worst of all possible options. Two very common uses
of CSVlogs will be a) to load them into a PostgreSQL table and b) to
load them into a spreadsheet such as Excel. In both cases having a Unix
epoch time rather than a timestamp is likely to be very annoying.

Tom's idea of a log_timezone seems to make sense.

cheers

andrew