Comments on roles and tablespaces for pg 8.2+

From: Erwin Brandstetter <brandstetter(at)falter(dot)at>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Comments on roles and tablespaces for pg 8.2+
Date: 2007-08-01 20:08:17
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi developers!

Testing pgAdmin III 1.8.0 Beta 2 (Jul 25 2007, rev: 6486). Client Win
XP, host: Debian Etch / PG 8.2.4

pg 8.2 has added COMMENTs on two more objects: roles and tablespaces.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/sql-comment.html (compare
with: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/sql-comment.html)

COMMENT ON ROLE my_role IS 'Administration group for finance tables';
COMMENT ON TABLESPACE my_tablespace IS 'Tablespace for indexes';

As I have to manage lots of users I find comments on roles especially
useful. pgAdmin, however, does not yet display these in the SQL pane of
the object browser. One might overwrite existing ones by accident, being
mislead into thinking there were none.

There is even a "Comment" field in the properties dialogue for
tablespaces, but it does not display existing comments and you cannot
enter anything, either.
There is no "Comment" field in in the properties dialogue for roles, yet.

I would be content if the comments were shown in the SQL pane. Being
able to edit them via properties dialogue would be a bonus, IMO.

The only new place for comments in pg 8.3 would be this one: (according
to http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/sql-comment.html)
OPERATOR FAMILY /object_name/ USING /index_method
/Not sure whether that requires any changes to pgAdmin./
/

For reference:
psql (v 8.2.4) displays the comments. I demonstrate with "psql -E" to
show the used SQL (German version):
There is still \du+ or \dg+ for users / groups. Both display all roles
these days (they should probably update the docs or, better yet,
substitute \du and \dg with \dr ...)

event=# \du+
******** ANFRAGE *********
SELECT r.rolname AS "Rollenname",
CASE WHEN r.rolsuper THEN 'ja' ELSE 'nein' END AS "Superuser",
CASE WHEN r.rolcreaterole THEN 'ja' ELSE 'nein' END AS "Rolle erzeugen",
CASE WHEN r.rolcreatedb THEN 'ja' ELSE 'nein' END AS "DB erzeugen",
CASE WHEN r.rolconnlimit < 0 THEN CAST('keine Beschränkung' AS
pg_catalog.text)
ELSE CAST(r.rolconnlimit AS pg_catalog.text)
END AS "Verbindungen",
ARRAY(SELECT b.rolname FROM pg_catalog.pg_auth_members m JOIN
pg_catalog.pg_roles b ON (m.roleid = b.oid) WHERE m.member = r.oid) as
"Mitglied von"
, pg_catalog.shobj_description(r.oid, 'pg_authid') AS "Beschreibung"
FROM pg_catalog.pg_roles r
ORDER BY 1;
**************************

-- tablespaces:
event=# \db+
******** ANFRAGE *********
SELECT spcname AS "Name",
pg_catalog.pg_get_userbyid(spcowner) AS "Eigentümer",
spclocation AS "Pfad",
spcacl as "Zugriffsrechte",
pg_catalog.shobj_description(oid, 'pg_tablespace') AS "Beschreibung"
FROM pg_catalog.pg_tablespace
ORDER BY 1;

Regards
Erwin