Re: postgresql publication ---> was "Re: New MySQL Journal"

From: Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org>
To: Robert Bernier <robert(dot)bernier5(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
Subject: Re: postgresql publication ---> was "Re: New MySQL Journal"
Date: 2007-07-31 22:56:15
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Robert Bernier wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 July 2007 13:06, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> I'm personally dubvious about the advisability of having our own Journal vs.
>> having regular articles in other people's publications. I don't think that
>> we have so many writers in the community that doing a PostgreSQL journal
>> wouldn't rob Linux magazines, sysadmin magazines, blogs, oreillynet etc. of
>> content.
>
> I don't believe we're robbing anybody.

Well I guess Josh's point was that there is only so much content that
the currently not so gigantic group of people competent in writing about
PostgreSQL community can write up. So the question is if this content
should best be published in a specialized PostgreSQL mag or in other
types of mags, like linux, programming etc. Because if the current crop
of writes would take the time they currently have and write for this new
journal, they might not have content to offer to other mags.

Obviously if the creation of this mag would result in more good content
being written on PostgreSQL, then it would be a whole different story.

regards,
Lukas