Re: deinstallation - reinstallation on Mac OS 10.4

From: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>
To: Christoph Heibl <christoph(dot)heibl(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: deinstallation - reinstallation on Mac OS 10.4
Date: 2007-07-31 09:19:30
Lists: pgsql-admin
Christoph Heibl wrote:

>> run this in the command line
>>
>> locate postmaster.pid
>> or
>> find / -name "postmaster.pid" -print
>>
>> that should locate any postmaster files and then remove whatever looks
>> like the postmaster.pif file
>
> Thank you! I found postmaster.pid in usr/local/pgsql/data. I deleted the
> whole pgsql directory and installed postgres again using the following
> commands:
>
>     ./configure
>     make
>     sudo make install
>     sudo mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
>     sudo chown postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data
>     su postgres
>     /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
>
> When I then try to start the PosrgreSQL-server via
>
>     /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
>
> the terminal gets "stuck" (i.e. no prompt appears ) after six lines of
> output:
>
> LOG:  database system was shut down at 2007-07-25 09:38:00 CEST
> LOG:  checkpoint record is at 0/42C258
> LOG:  redo record is at 0/42C258; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
> LOG:  next transaction ID: 0/593; next OID: 10820
> LOG:  next MultiXactId: 1; next MultiXactOffset: 0
> LOG:  database system is ready
>
> There is no explicit error message. What can be wrong?
> What directory do I have to cd to in order to execute
> "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres -D /usr/local/pgsql/data"?
> Did I omit an important step?
>
> Thanks for your ideas!
> Christoph

The last line there is what you are interested in - it's ready.
You may be mislead by the first line - that comes from initdb which
basically starts the server to setup the system catalogs etc. then stops it.

In the Terminal when you give a command you don't get your cursor back
until the command has finished running.
As you want the server to continue running you can add & after the
command which will allow the command to run in the background.
(that would include a space and then the & after the last character in
the command)

If you have a startupitems folder to start postgresql on startup then
you can also use that to start/stop postgresql manually with -
sudo /Library/StartupItems/PostgreSQL/PostgreSQL start

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz