Enabling SQL text field in the SQL tab of object dialog

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Enabling SQL text field in the SQL tab of object dialog
Date: 2007-07-31 08:35:53
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi all,

I was looking at the new features of DBVisualizer and found something
that please me. I don't know if you remember this old thread :
http://www.pgadmin.org/archives/pgadmin-hackers/2007-03/msg00004.php

I want to be able to change the generated SQL on object dialog.
DBVisualizer seems to do it in a way that feels great. At first, editing
the SQL is disabled. You can enable it by clicking on a button. See this
screenshot :

http://www.minq.se/products/dbvis/imageviewer.jsp?image=versions/6.0/images/6.0-alterTable.png

I think this is something we can do. You can modify an object with the
GUI and fine tune the queries by enabling the SQL text field. Of course,
if you do this, all other components are disabled right away. If you
click to disable editing, you get back to "GUI mode" and loose all your
editing modifications. With appropriate alerts, I think it is acceptable
for users.

There's still one problem :

> Also, on some dialogs there are placeholders included in the code for cases when we have multi-step queries that are tied together by a generated ID. IF the user mucked about with those, it could break things particularly spectaularly.

But we don't need to make the SQL text field editable for every SQL tab.

Ideas ? Comments ?

(this is obviously not for 1.8)

Regards.

--