Re: pipe chunking vs Windows

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, "korry(dot)douglas" <korry(dot)douglas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pipe chunking vs Windows
Date: 2007-07-30 11:48:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> However, the problem is that in backporting it we'd make a slight
>> behaviour change - the log file just gets LF instead of CRLF line
>> endings. I'm inclined to say that's a better result than living with the
>> bug, though.
>>

> Can't we add back the CRLF combo when writing the file out from the
> syslogger process?

Yes, you're right. I can do this by setting text mode on the syslogFile.
I'll have a patch for review shortly.

Note: this is behaviour we definitely won't want for CSVlogs, because it
will translate embedded LF as well as LF at the end of a log line. This
whole little mess chewed up all the time I wanted to spend yesterday
making progress on CSVlogs :-(

cheers

andrew