Re: New Index

From: David Fuhry <dfuhry(at)cs(dot)kent(dot)edu>
To: algatt <alangatt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, postgis-devel(at)postgis(dot)refractions(dot)net
Subject: Re: New Index
Date: 2007-07-28 16:55:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

algatt,

You might find the examples of PostGIS [1] and SP-GiST [2] helpful
in implementing your PR-Tree index, although the former implements only
2D R-Trees and the latter implements tries, quadtrees, and kd-trees but
not R-Trees (and extends GiST).

Yours may be the first PostgreSQL R-Tree implementation which takes
advantage of bulk-loading. The Oracle Spatial guys have had a
bulk-loading implementation [3] since 10g, based on [4].

-Dave Fuhry

[1] http://postgis.refractions.net/
[2] http://www.cs.purdue.edu/spgist/
[3] Ning An, Kothuri Venkata Ravi Kanth, Siva Ravada: Improving
Performance with Bulk-Inserts in Oracle R-Trees. VLDB 2003: 948-951
[4] L. Arge, K. Hinrichs, et al. Efficient Bulk Operations
on Dynamic R-trees. In Workshop on Algorithm Engi-
neering and Experimentation (ALENEX), pages 328–
348, 1999.