Re: Machine available for community use

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Machine available for community use
Date: 2007-07-26 14:59:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:
>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Really there's a pretty good argument for having several different OS'es
>>> available on the box --- I wonder whether Gavin is up to managing some
>>> sort of VM or multiboot setup.
>
>> IMO, a multiboot is o.k. but a vm isn't worth it.
>
> Yeah, multiboot would be better --- otherwise you have to wonder if the
> vm is affecting performance at all. But I suppose multiboot would be
> harder to manage.

Personally, I think CentOS 5 is probably the most reasonable choice. It
is what (or RHEL 5 which is the same) a good portion of our community is
going to be running. It is also easy to work with.

Another alternative would be Debian or Ubuntu Dapper but they are all
really the same thing :). The nice thing is any of these three are
fairly static installs that are going to be reasonably predictable.

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/