Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL: fight

From: Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL: fight
Date: 2007-07-25 09:38:58
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Dave Page wrote:
> Greg Smith wrote:
>> After today's flurry of messages on this topic, I found myself wanting
>> a summary of what I'd learned about the current state of things before
>> the details slipped away. Somewhere in the middle of writing that, it
>> morphed into an advocacy piece, so I figured why not put it on the Wiki:
>>
>> http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php?title=Why_PostgreSQL_instead_of_MySQL
>>

>> I may circle back to filling some of the stub sections myself
>> eventually, you're all encouraged to beat me to it.
>
> Greg,
>
> This piece is clearly aimed at end users and shouldn't be on the
> developers Wiki (which is only for internal project
> documentation/notes). Please move it over to techdocs, or refocus it as
> a guide for use by booth staff etc.

Generally having this document is a slippery slope. Its one of those
things that will generate trouble if its not acurate and is not updated
frequently enough. As such it should mention version numbers of MySQL
where ever possible to make it clear which version of MySQL and
PostgreSQL is compared in every section. It gets even trickier though
with MySQL due to the fact that there are various different storage
engines etc.

regards,
Lukas