Re: msvc and vista fun

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: msvc and vista fun
Date: 2007-07-25 08:47:21
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> I have never heard back on this, AFAIK. If anyone has instructions on
> how to manage this please let me know. My current status with MSVC/vista
> is still that I can build but not run as an admin user, and run but not
> build as a non-admin user. Bleah.

I remember responding, but we had 2 somewhat intertwined threads going
back then as I recall so it might have been in the other one...

On my machine here, I run the buildfarm under user 'Dave' which is a
member of the Administrators group. It would not run under the
(unlocked) Administrator account as I recall, as it gave the error you
report about not being able to find postgres.exe. iirc, this is because
of the way the administrator account is largely crippled by UAC these
days (you're not really supposed to use it anyway).

I run the clients for both MSVC and Mingw this way. On Mingw, the only
other problem I recall was that cc1.exe couldn't be found, for which I
posted a solution here
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-06/msg00932.php

On MSVC, I don't recall seeing the problem you get with mt.exe. Can you
provide any more useful detail than 'mysterious failure'? That was all
you said in your original message.

Regards, Dave.