Re: Performance issue with 8.2.3 - "C" application

From: Karl Denninger <karl(at)denninger(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance issue with 8.2.3 - "C" application
Date: 2007-07-25 03:35:41
Lists: pgsql-performance

BIG difference.  I won't know for sure until the biz day tomorrow but
the "first blush" look is that it makes a HUGE difference in system
load, and I no longer have the stats collector process on the top of the
"top" list......

Karl Denninger (karl(at)denninger(dot)net)

Tom Lane wrote:
> Karl Denninger <karl(at)denninger(dot)net> writes:
>> Hmmmmm..... now that's interesting.  Stats collector IS accumulating
>> quite a bit of runtime..... me thinks its time to go grab 8.2.4.
> I think Merlin might have nailed it --- the "stats collector bug" is
> that it tries to write out the stats file way more often than it
> should.  So any excessive userland CPU time you see is just the tip
> of the iceberg compared to the system and I/O costs incurred.
> 			regards, tom lane
> %SPAMBLOCK-SYS: Matched [], message ok

%SPAMBLOCK-SYS: Matched [(at)postgresql(dot)org+], message ok