Re: "_" in a serach pattern

From: Peter Koczan <pjkoczan(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ben Kim <bkim(at)tamu(dot)edu>
Cc: Jessica Richard <rjessil(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "_" in a serach pattern
Date: 2007-07-25 02:29:02
Lists: pgsql-admin
Most database systems can figure out the size (in bytes) of a column
rather quickly from offsets within a record. I doubt that postgres is
any different. The only difference I can think of is that it might be
slower to filter out trailing spaces of a char column before comparing,
though the actual string length may be cached somewhere. Semantically,
it should be no different. I haven't perused the source code enough to
know for sure.

Any of the developers that patrol this list can probably answer your
questions better, especially the question of matching or not matching
strings of different length.

Peter