Re: (wtf) Top 20 Open Source Software Projects in the Enterprise

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: JoshuaKramer <josh(at)globalherald(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Advocacy List <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: (wtf) Top 20 Open Source Software Projects in the Enterprise
Date: 2007-07-24 19:33:56
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> On 7/24/07, JoshuaKramer <josh(at)globalherald(dot)net> wrote:
>> On a somewhat related topic - how is MySQL 5 wrt reliability?  Let's say
>> you have a database that uses innodb and does type checking - is MySQL as
>> robust as PGSQL when it comes to being able to pull the plug out of the
>> socket (or deal with HW errors)?
>
> ACID-wise:
>
> MyISAM, no.  InnoDB, Solid, and PrimeBase yes.

Last I checked there was no way to make the system tables use anything
other than MyISAM, which means they're not safe. That opens up a window
that cannot be fixed. Unless they've actually changed that in 5.1, I
think it was 5.0 when I checked it (could've been 4.x, I don't actually
*use* mysql so..)

//Magnus