Re: index over timestamp not being used

From: Arnau <arnaulist(at)andromeiberica(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: index over timestamp not being used
Date: 2007-07-24 19:31:07
Lists: pgsql-performance
Hi Tom,

> Alternatively, do you really need to_timestamp at all?  The standard
> timestamp input routine won't have any problem with that format:
>     t.timestamp_in >= '20070101'

This is always I think I'm worried, what happens if one day the internal
format in which the DB stores the date/timestamps changes. I mean, if
instead of being stored as YYYYMMDD is stored as DDMMYYYY, should we
have to change all the queries? I thought the
to_char/to_date/to_timestamp functions were intented for this purposes

--
Arnau