Re: "_" in a serach pattern

From: Peter Koczan <pjkoczan(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jessica Richard <rjessil(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "_" in a serach pattern
Date: 2007-07-24 00:35:46
Lists: pgsql-admin

The only difference is that varchar can have a length limit, text is
always unlimited length. There's no significant performance difference
between either. For most intents and purposes, they're equal.

varchar is better than text in that limits are already built in. You can
always impose limits on text types using rules and domains, but at a
slight performance hit and having to create and maintain your own rules
and domains. If you need limits, you might consider using varchar over
text as everything is there.

I use text since I don't want to worry about overflow. Personally,
specifying a varchar(500) column to be used as a "big string" field
makes little sense to me. But, if you need a limit for a display or a
program, you probably should use varchar. Besides, if you ever need to
convert data types, any of the postgres 8.* releases make it easy.

Peter

P.S. You might want to file a bug report about your initial problem.
According to
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/datatype-character.html

Values of type character are physically padded with spaces to the
specified width /n/, and are stored and displayed that way. However, the
padding spaces are treated as semantically insignificant. Trailing
spaces are disregarded when comparing two values of type character, and
they will be removed when converting a character value to one of the
other string types. Note that trailing spaces /are/ semantically
significant in character varying and text values.

It should have ignored the spaces in the char field and didn't.

Peter