Re: UnixWare UP3 compiler detection patch

From: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UnixWare UP3 compiler detection patch
Date: 2003-10-31 23:22:33
Lists: pgsql-patches

--On Saturday, November 01, 2003 00:17:46 +0100 Peter Eisentraut
<peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:

> Larry Rosenman writes:
>
>> I put the following patch to detect the 7.1.3 UP3 compiler. If there
>> are no SERIOUS objections, please apply:
>
> This patch breaks about all the rules for robust autoconf tests:
>
> 1. Compile things using the compiler and the flags that the user chose,
> not hardcoded ones.
We are just checking a preprocessor define that we know will exist in
the SCO cc case, and this preprocessor define does NOT change based
on flags.

> 2. Make sure you can clean up after yourself even if your code doesn't run
> all the way through.
I can, and I've tested it, because I blew the test a couple of times.

> 3. Don't execute programs you just compiled.
Why not?

It's only on the ONE platform, and how would you prefer the test be done?

> --
> Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net

--
Larry Rosenman http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
Phone: +1 972-414-9812 E-Mail: ler(at)lerctr(dot)org