Re: i need a rad/ide open source for work with postgresql

From: Adam Rad?owski <adamr(at)informatyka(dot)gdansk(dot)pl>
To: Mario Jose Canto Barea <mcantobarea(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)mx>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: i need a rad/ide open source for work with postgresql
Date: 2007-06-30 21:11:40
Lists: pgsql-admin
Look at:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/
The PostgreSQL manual is the best manual, I've ever seen.
The people, who are discussing on ADMIN list are always very helpful.
I'm using PostgreSQL for three years and I found there all answers on my
quesions... Not all - there is nothing about dblink, what about I found
information in unpacked source package, where "readmes" are very usable too.
I think You're very new in PostgreSQL, so You should as the first thing
read any book, where are simple examples of libpq usage. Do not worry
about, that the descriptions are for UNIX/Linux - the calls of libpq
routines are the same.
My first book about PostgreSQL was "Beginning Databases with PostgreSQL"
written by R.Stones and N.Matthew. Since I finished reading of this book
I use always PostgreSQL docs only.
Simplest usage of libpq (all descriptions and routines are in PostgreSQl
docs):
1. connect with PQconnect
2. disble error messages (look at "Notice processing" in the manual)
3. make Your queries with PQexec
4. enable error messages
5. disconnect

In Delphi, of course You have to link needed routines from llibpq.dll .
See examples from FreePascal, when You're using Delphi.

Adam