Re: Time zone definitions to config files

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: joe(at)mcknight(dot)de
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time zone definitions to config files
Date: 2006-07-25 03:59:34
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
"Joachim Wieland" <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de> writes:
> Here's the patch that generalizes the australian_timezones hack by moving the
> compiled-in time zone definitions into a text file. The text file to use is
> chosen via a guc.

Applied with some revisions --- mostly, that I didn't like restricting
timezone_abbreviations to be changed only via postgresql.conf.  The old
australian_timezones setting was always USERSET, and I think people
would have had a legitimate gripe about loss of flexibility if its
replacement wasn't.  Fortunately this wasn't too hard to change.  I also
editorialized a bit on the file placement and the parsing code.

The documentation is still in need of help ... in particular, Table B-4
(timezone names) is now out of sync with reality.  I am not sure whether
to try to fix it, or just remove it and tell people to look at the
pg_timezonenames view.  Thoughts?  If you want to fix it, please send
a patch.