Re: BUG #3416: User 'postgres' could not be created: access Denied

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Hiroshi Saito <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp>
Cc: Shelby Cain <alyandon(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Mriusz <m(dot)krzaczek(at)goldwell(dot)pl>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3416: User 'postgres' could not be created: access Denied
Date: 2007-06-27 14:32:28
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hiroshi Saito wrote:
> Hi.
>
> From: "Shelby Cain"
>
>> Hiroshi,
>>
>> Wouldn't it be better to start an elevated command prompt (right-click
>> command prompt -> run as admin) and run the installer directly from
>> the command line instead of disabling UAC? Does that not work?
>
> Ahh yes.:-)
> ex.)
> runas /user:administrator "cmd.exe"
>
> However, Probably, HOME EDITION will be slightly complicated...

This is going to become my new pet-peeve isn't it? :-)

The Administrator account is disabled by default in new installs of
Vista (upgrades can be different), so this method most likely won't work!!

For those that require evidence, from
http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsvistasecurity/archive/2006/08/27/windowsvistasecurity_.aspx

"The built-in administrator account is disabled by default in Windows
Vista on new installations."

Or Google for "vista administrator disabled" and look at any of the
hundreds of relevant hits.

Regards, Dave.