Re: replication between linxu postgresql and Windows postgresql

From: Adam Radlowski <adamr(at)informatyka(dot)gdansk(dot)pl>
To: Mary Anderson <maryfran(at)demog(dot)berkeley(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: replication between linxu postgresql and Windows postgresql
Date: 2007-06-26 06:43:06
Lists: pgsql-admin
Mary Anderson wrote:
> Hi all,
>    I am new to postgresql and have been called upon to set up a
> database to be used by two groups.  One group (mine) is strictly a
> UNIX shop.  The other group (theirs) is strictly a Windows shop.  What
> is the best way to go.
>    First, does postgresql have replication and can i get it with the
> open source database?
Yes. There Is some replication systems for PostgreSQL, the most popular
is "Slony". You're from USA, so You don't have to worry about encodings
and collate problems, when the are different in Windows server and
UNIX/Linux. When You use specific encodings I think the best way is to
use UTF8 in both servers - Windows and UNIX/Linux (if it is possible).
If You want to make Your own specific replication, You can use dblink
module and some triggers. It sounds very complicate, but it is not.
Sometimes the applications are working in very specific way, so
classical replication is not very usable (not in PostgreSQL only).
>    Second, would replication work between a Linux postgresql and a
> Windows postgresql?
I think - It's no problem.
>     What if I run postgresql on VMWare in the Windows shop?  Will
> replication work?
Like above.

>     What about dumping the Linux database and restoring it on the
> Windows database.  Will that work?
Yes. When You are using different encodings in these databases, the best
way is to use dumps as SQL script restoring with psql program.