Re: msvc and vista fun

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: msvc and vista fun
Date: 2007-06-25 01:22:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Dave Page wrote:

>> Perhaps someone would like to tell me how I can remedy these
>> problems. More importantly, this should be in an FAQ or some such.
>> Also, I would like to know if we have really tested out on Vista the
>> privilege surrendering code that is is supposed to work in Windows.
>> It looks to me like it might not be working.
>
> What makes you say that?

It was just a suspicion, but maybe the fact that the admin user can't
run while the non-admin user can indicates that it is working (possibly
too well).

>> If we can make progress on these issues then I'll be happy. If not, I
>> think we need to look carefully at what we say we can support, and
>> what we declare to be still experimental.
>
> Lack of completely reliable buildfarm support for MSVC or trouble
> setting up a buildenv doesn't mean we cannot support a platform - it
> just means we need o be extra vigilent to ensure that regresssion
> tests etc. do actually pass (though that level of failure would be
> visible on the BF I would hope - it certainly has been until now).

I am not only concerned about the buildfarm, but about the robustness,
maintainability and simplicity of the build process. Having to have a
completely separate build system for msvc is really quite sucky.

cheers

andrew