Re: Regression - Query requires full scan, GIN doesn't support it

From: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
To: Stuart Bishop <stuart(at)stuartbishop(dot)net>
Cc: PgSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Regression - Query requires full scan, GIN doesn't support it
Date: 2007-06-22 09:18:53
Lists: pgsql-general

> Is this a permanent limitation of GIN, or is a fix possible?
Permanent. You could check user input by querytree() function --- if it returns
'T' string then fullscan will be needed. If your tsquery is produced by
plainto_tsquery() call then it will not find any result, so you can show to user
void page.

> Is a fix being worked on?
> If a fix is forthcoming, will it be available in the 8.2 series or only 8.3+?

Possibly, full fix in 8.4. But I will not promise.
8.3 will have protection from queries which doesn't match anything.

WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/