Re: Data transfer very slow when connected via DSL

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: Rainer Bauer <usenet(at)munnin(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Data transfer very slow when connected via DSL
Date: 2007-06-21 23:23:06
Lists: pgsql-performance

Rainer Bauer wrote:
> Hello Dimitri,
>

>> but did you try to execute your query directly from 'psql' ?...
>>

> munnin=>\timing
> munnin=>select * from "tblItem";
> <data snipped>
> (50 rows)
> Time: 391,000 ms
>

>> Why I'm asking: seems to me your case is probably just network latency
>> dependent, and what I noticed during last benchmarks with PostgreSQL
>> the SELECT query become very traffic hungry if you are using CURSOR.
>> Program 'psql' is implemented to not use CURSOR by default, so it'll
>> be easy to check if you're meeting this issue or not just by executing
>> your query remotely from 'psql'...
>>

> Yes, see also my other post.
>
> Unfortunatelly this means that using my program to connect via DSL to the
> Postgres database is not possible.

Note that I'm connected via wireless lan here at work (our wireless lan
doesn't connecto to our internal lan directly due to PCI issues) then to
our internal network via VPN.

We are using Cisco with Cisco's vpn client software. I am running
Fedora core 4 on my laptop and I can fetch 10,000 rather chubby rows (a
hundred or more bytes) in about 7 seconds.

So, postgresql over vpn works fine here. Note, no windows machines were
involved in the making of this email. One is doing the job of tossing
it on the internet when I hit send though.