Re: Excell

From: Ireneusz Pluta <ipluta(at)wp(dot)pl>
To: Bob Pawley <rjpawley(at)shaw(dot)ca>
Cc: David Gardner <david(at)gardnerit(dot)net>, Postgresql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Excell
Date: 2007-06-20 14:39:32
Lists: pgsql-general

Bob Pawley napisał(a):
> Thanks
>
> Does one version of ODBC work for all versions of Excel and Postgresql.
>
> I am wanting to transfer one or two tables from Excel and manipulate the
> information in Postgresql then transfer the results back to Excel as a
> single table.
>
> I am using Excel 2000 and PostgreSql 8.1.

If this is a one-time or infrequent opreration then the round-trip of
Excel->Access->ODBC->PostgreSQL is the way to go. I do this way usually.

But when you need to process your data in this way more frequently then you'll probably start
looking for something more sophisticated, involving much less clicking or drag'n dropping.

If you are familiar with Perl then using:
http://search.cpan.org/~timb/DBI-1.57/DBI.pm
http://search.cpan.org/~hmbrand/Spreadsheet-Read-0.22/Read.pm
http://search.cpan.org/~jmcnamara/Spreadsheet-WriteExcel-2.18/lib/Spreadsheet/WriteExcel.pm
is the way to go and I do this way when I need to update and process sets of data provided to me as
Excel spreadsheets.
However, this usually involves tailoring a separate solution for each individual data-processing case.

Irek.