Re: Stuck (again) trying to move a 7.x app and database to 8.2

From: Tommy Gildseth <tommy(at)gildseth(dot)com>
To: howard(at)yankeescientific(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Stuck (again) trying to move a 7.x app and database to 8.2
Date: 2007-06-18 06:08:22
Lists: pgsql-novice
On 06/15/2007 08:07 PM, Howard Eglowstein wrote:
> Hi all. I asked this question back on January and got a lot of helpful
> advice, but I never did get the thing up and running. Now that I have
> time again, I need to get an application and database running on a
> Debian machine with PSQL 7.x running on a Fedora machine running 8.2.
>
> Here's what I've done:
>
> 1) I installed 8.2 on the new machine. The installation doesn't complain
> about anything, and 'initdb' says it inited stuff.
>
> 2) The old database makes daily backups with a command like 'pg_dump -U
> backup -Ft -b data > 20070615.tar'
>
> 3) I copied the 20070615.tar file over to the new machine and tried
> restoring it with 'pg_restore 20070615.tar'

You're going to run into problems if you're trying to import a dump
dumped with a 7.4 pg_dump, into a v8.2  database. Try using the pg_dump
on your FC machine, to dump the database from your Debian machine.

I've written up a little list of what I did when I upgraded my stock
Debian 7.4 postgreSQL, to the latest 8.2 version a while ago, at
http://www.gildseth.com/pg74-82-migration.html
Maybe that can be of some help?

--
Tommy